O Hai Yo Luv !!! ♥
just adore this Untidy Little Summer Rolls recipe so much because it’s really easy to put together and it takes absolutely no time at all. Other than the eggs, nothing in this recipe is cooked! Even the rice paper just needs to be dunked into a plate of water or flashed under a running tap!
That means you can totally rock the raw vegan vibe!
I love the combination of flavours here. It is sweet, savoury, tangy and has just a little bit of spice- after all it is an asian dish! It’s creamy from the nut butter and crunchy and fresh from all the raw vegetables. Plus, it’s super nutritious for your body too! I’ve been rocking a raw vegan diet 5 outta 7 days and I’m loving every bit of it! I’m loving my body and I’m loving how I’m feeling!
Two ways of Untidy Little Summer Rolls
1. Vegan with protein rich tofu + kale, carrots, broccoli
2. Vegetarian with jammy eggs + tofu, carrots, kale, cranberries
but…. this recipe is:
♥ 100% customisable: go crazy here and add whatever you desire!
♥ This recipe is high in fiber, antioxidants, calcium, vitamin K, vitamin C, folate, potassium and iron
The ugly beautiful
Traditionally, all the vegetables in a Vietnamese summer roll are thinly sliced and julienned. But as the name of this recipe implies, these Untidy Little Summer Rolls are meant to be a fun and therapeutic process- a beauty of it’s own. They are homemade and handcrafted after all, so they don’t have to be in precise little round cylinders. Just make em the way you like em!
Kale and carrots are both hardy, cool-season vegetables and are at their peak during this season. Yet nowadays, it’s a common sighting to find these vegetables on display all year round but eating seasonal food means fresher, tastier and more nutritious than food consumed out of season. Other reasons to consume seasonal produce are to support the local farms and to reduce the carbon footprint (i.e. carbon emissions of transportations of ) the produce up to 10%.
~ seasonal is just better for you and the environment 🙂
Ingredients for Untidy Little Summer Rolls salad:
- 4 cups chop or hand ripped kale (into about 3 inches give or take)
- 1 cups chopped broccoli to about the same
- 1 cups of cut carrots thinly (julienned for a neater look)
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1/2 block of extra firm tofu cut into about 3 inch long rectangles
- 2 jammy eggs sliced into quarters (omit if vegan)
- 8- 10 spring roll rice paper wrappers
Ingredients for Untidy Little Summer Rolls dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbs toasted sesame oil (omit if unavailable)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (or 1 Tbs brown sugar)
- 1 Tbs hot sauce or sriracha
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 3 Tbs water
Instructions for Untidy Little Summer Rolls + Sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients of the sauce into the bowl and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine all the chopped vegetables and cranberries and add 2 tablespoons of the dipping sauce till all the vegetables are coated
- Next, handing one at a time, flash the rice paper roll under cool water and place it on a plate or chopping board to sit for 20 seconds (time for the paper to absorb the water)
- After add 1/4 cup of salad mix into the rice roll and add tofu strips or egg slices and fold like you would a burrito
- Watch the GIF for steps
- Eat it cold with the dip on the side!