This Easy Paleo Lemon Bars recipe is:
PALEO, GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, SUGAR FREE, SWEETENED WITH DATES ONLY
AHHH! Paleo Lemon Bars!! Or do you call them lemon squares? Bake it in a round pan, add some fluffy meringue on top then call it Lemon Meringue Pie! So many ways to go with this easy recipe!
As you know, (I bet you don’t but I’ll tell you now) I am currently living with a gym monkey who is on a paleo diet, a.k.a The Caveman Diet. He has requested that all sweets that are in the fridge should be paleo friendly and of course, since this is one of my staples, I had to create a version that is paleo friendly and that would be just as delicious as my classical lemon bars. I thought of this paleo recipe as a remake of the movie Cinderella where she became the fitpo.
Also the caveman back home is a real picky dessert eater and he has polity asked me to not add honey or maple or any kind of sugars into the desserts. Yes that also means no coconut sugar too! So, how else am I going to add sweetness into my sweets (, naturally?) !!!
Date paste! It’s nature’s candy, perfect for sweetening paleo cakes and cookies! You can find it in some grocery stores or you can or you could make your own homemade date pate* if you have some dates lying around or else you can also get some here- dates
Homemade date paste*: Pour 1/4 cup of boiling hot water onto 1/2 cup of dates. Let sit for 15 minutes then transfer into a blender and blend until smooth.
Easy Paleo Lemon Bars Crust Ingredients:
1 cup almond flour
1/3 + 2 tablespoons organic coconut flour
1/4 teaspoons Himalayan salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup of melted and cooled coconut oil or butter
Easy Paleo Lemon Bars Filling Ingredients:
2 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk
1 cup date paste*( see note above)
1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
Instructions For Easy Paleo Lemon Bars Crust:
Preheat your oven to 375F.
Grease a 9” square baking pan with coconut oil and line pan with parchment paper, leaving enough extra to extend over the sides.
In the bowl of your food processor, combine coconut oil (or butter), almond flour, coconut flour, vanilla, salt, egg and process till a ball forms in your food processor.
Press the dough into the lined pan.
Bake the crust for 8 – 10 minutes or until lightly browned, let cool.
Instructions For Easy Paleo Lemon Filling:
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients till smooth and no lumps remain.
Pour into cooled crust and bake for another 25 minutes.
Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
Slice and enjoy!
I get most of my ingredients from iHerb.com! They have a wonderful selection of inexpensive groceries ranging from specialty ingredients like celtic salts to organic cane sugars and essential flours. iHerb.com delivers world-wide with free shipping (or only S$4 for orders below $40). Tip: Save $10 on your first order at iHerb with this iHerb coupon when checking out: GDL243
- Crust Ingredients:
- 1 cup almond flour
- ⅓ + 2 tablespoons organic coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoons Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of melted and cooled coconut oil or butter ( I perfer Island Fresh SUPERIOR Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Cold-pressed and Unrefined for Irresistible Aroma and Taste, 54 Ounce )
- 1 egg
- Lemon Layer Ingredients:
- 2 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup date paste
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- For the crust:
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Grease a 9” square baking pan with coconut oil and line pan with parchment paper, leaving enough extra to extend over the sides.
- In the bowl of your food processor, combine coconut oil (or butter), almond flour, coconut flour, vanilla, salt, egg and process till a ball forms in your food processor.
- Press the dough into the lined pan.
- Bake the crust for 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly browned, let cool.
- For the lemon layer:
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients till smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour into cooled crust and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Slice and enjoy!
Check out other paleo recipes here!